About a Place in the Kinki Region p.6: Information gathered from the internet 1
• Posts from a "Suspicious Individual Information Board"
Location: Near ●●●●● intersection.
Date & time: October 19th 2018, around 16:20.
Description of individual: 50s, closely shaved head, overweight, going by foot, wearing a blue zip-up jacket.
Description of incident: Approached an elementary school girl on her way back from school and told her "I'll take you to the mountains."
Location: Near ●●●●● Elementary School.
Date & time: May 27th 2020, around 11:30.
Description of individual: 20s, blonde hair, slim build, driving a car, wearing a black hoodie.
Description of incident: Reached out of his car and pointed his smartphone at a woman passing by and asked her "how about we go to the mountains?"
Location: Near ●●●●● Highway.
Date & time: June 3rd 2021, around 21:00.
Description of individual: 40s, short hair, medium build, going by foot, wearing a suit.
Description of incident: Was running after a female cyclist while shouting "let's go the mountains!"
• An article from "XX Digital Newspaper" dated August 19th 2016
On August 18th, a person at ●●●●● Dam called the emergency services and told them "there's something strange floating in the dam." When police officers from the ●●●●● Police Station arrived at the dam they discovered the bodies of a woman and a young girl in the water. They were both confirmed to be deceased.
The ●●●●● Police Station stated that they have identified the bodies as belonging to 〇〇〇〇-san, 35, and her daughter 〇〇〇〇-chan, 12. They are currently questioning the woman's husband, 35, as a possible suspect.
The police have reported that they received testimony from the family's neighbours that the husband had told them "soon we're going to Mt. ●●●●● to pay a visit to someone who's taken care of us in the past." As the distance between the family's home and ●●●●● Dam is quite significant, the police are considering whether the suspect may have had an accomplice.
• A recording of a livestream from "Yukihiro's Spooky Spot Expedition Channel"
While the video archive has been deleted, audio from the livestream has since been reuploaded to various message boards. The following is a transcript of the audio.
(Start of livestream)
Hey, how's it going! Yuki here, back again to charge right in to another spooky spot!
So, where are we going today? Well, it's time to go to ●●●●●. I've been getting a lot of requests to check this place out.
If you're a regular viewer, you probably already know this, but this place is supposed to be the spookiest spot in all of Kansai. Better yet, there's tons to see! They've got a dam, old ruined buildings, and a tunnel. It's basically a mall of haunted places! Well, now that I'm here, why don't we check 'em all out? First up, I'm heading to the ●●●●● Tunnel.
Uh, lemme check the comments. You're all telling me to stop yapping and hurry it up, so let's get to it. Right now I'm still inside the car, obviously, but I'm parked at the tunnel entrance. You all ready?
(Sounds of a car door opening and closing)
Nobody inside, as you can see. Makes sense, since it's three in the morning. It's a pretty big tunnel, huh? Still, gotta be careful. Wouldn't want to get hit by a truck passing through. Umm. So here's what they're saying online. Right where I'm standing here, at the entrance, you gotta- Oh, I guess both sides are technically entrances. Well, anyway. You're supposed to shout out "heeey" from the entrance on the side I'm at, opposite the dam on the other end. The story goes if you do that, then you'll see a ghost!
I'll be exploring the actual tunnel soon. For now let's see if there's any truth to that story.
I'm kinda getting chills. Huh? Just get on with it? Hah.
Sure, let's give it a try. Heeey!
Well, nothing's happening. I'll try again. Heeey!
Yeah. Nothing. Alright, let's head inside and- huh? Whoa, shit.
I'm getting back in the car.
(Sounds of a car door opening and closing)
Did you all see that? I got that on camera, right? Someone was coming from the other end of the tunnel. Yeah. I couldn't really see very well 'cause it's so dark, but I think it was a person. Maybe they're a local?
Huh? Go back in? What if they call the police? That'd be bad. What should I do... Umm... Whoa, you're all commenting go back in. I guess I'll try speaking to them and act like I'm lost, then?
(Sounds of a car door opening and closing)
Excuse meee! Uh- whoa!
(Sounds of a car door opening and closing followed by the sound of an engine starting)
Whoa, what the hell! They were laughing like mad! Running at me waving their hands around!
(Sounds of a car driving)
That was seriously messed up! I'm freaking out! Did you all see that? Scary, right? If I waited any longer to get out the car they would've gotten right up to me!
What the hell was that? A ghost? But ghosts are supposed to be, like, spirits, right?
Give me a sec to calm down. My heart's going crazy. It's a while away but I know there's a diner near here, so I'm gonna try going there.
No, for real, what was that? You're all saying to go back, but that's way too scary. You're pissing me off. Don't mess with me. For real, I'll kill you. Hm? Whoa, there's tons of comments coming in. Huh? It was nothing weird? What are you even saying? Shut it. Die. The idea of going back is really scary... But everyone's looking forward to it? I'm seriously gonna kill you. But I barely did anything today? Die. Ma.....
(Five minutes of indiscernible mumbling follows)
How about we go to the mountains?
(End of livestream)
Translation Notes 1-8
The translation notes are organised by part. Please be careful of spoiling yourself by reading ahead.
This is an amateur translation of the web novel 近畿地方のある場所について as posted to kakuyomu.jp by the author 背筋. The web novel is freely accessible to the public, and this translation has no relation to any other adaptions. I claim no rights or ownership of the content presented.