Aisarenakutemo Betsuni (2025) English Subtitles
Aisarenakutemo Betsuni (2025)
TL Notes follow, beware spoilers further down.
A much more serious-in-tone film to my last one. This 2025 drama is an important film, in my opinion—well, the book too, it's an important work in general. Aisarenakutemo Betsuni, or I Don't Care If I'm Not Loved (my translation, the "official" one seems to be Love Doesn't Matter To Me) centres two young women trying to get by in world that doesn't feel right for them, pressured by societal expectations of love and family. It's a great watch.
The film features minor nudity in a couple scenes including depictions of sexual intercourse. It includes some serious topics including sexual assault, so please be aware if that's something you're sensitive about, but I assure you it tackles them for good reason.
The subtitles are timed to the Amazon release of the film, but should be easy enough to adjust for any other platform.
You can find a link to the film's Drama-Otaku page, where the subtitles are hosted, here: https://drama-otaku.com/movie/aisarenakutemo-betsuni/
The subtitles can also be found on AvistaZ.
Spoilers from here on!
Personally, I think this is an excellent story. Having dipped my toes into the book for greater context on translating some lines, I'm awed by Takeda Ayano's writing. She had something to say here and it's not very pleasant to hear, but it is important—for those it resonates with, it might give a voice to something you've never been able to pin down.. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
TL Notes
Most of what I'd have to offer TL notes on was handled in the subtitles, as these lines were dependent on kanji mostly. Aside from that, I have only one translation decision to comment on:
Love Doesn't Matter To Me
This is the "official" translation of the title. Neither the film nor the book have been licensed for English-language release, but I've seen that it's getting a very limited run as part of a UK film tour, and that's what they went with. I don't really like it. I think it's most important that this line fits in smoothly to Enaga's dialogue mid-way through the film. I don't think the official translation sounds as natural coming from her, nor is it as close of a translation to the official line, which specifically outlines being loved.
Disclaimer: my subtitles are an unofficial, fan-made translation. I have no relation whatsoever to anyone involved with the media presented.
