About a Place in the Kinki Region p.20: Information gathered from the internet 3

[Summary of a Legendary Thread] What's the famously scary 'Talisman House Expedition' thread all about?

A thread titled "[Haunted Spots] Raiding some haunted locations in Kinki right now" was posted to an online message board on January 15th 2011.
The original poster (Captain Kansai) lives in the Kansai region and is asking for suggestions on where to raid (visit.)
The OP chooses a response to follow and heads to a location in ●●●●● known as the 'Talisman House', but then...
A summary of the thread can be read below:




[Haunted Spots] Raiding some haunted locations in Kinki right now

1: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:32:24

Bored so I wanna visit a haunted spot around Kinki. Any suggestions?
I'm a guy from Kansai with my own car.
Anybody else is welcome to come with.


2: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:37:01

I'd join but I'm in Tokyo...


3: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:40:10

Inunaki mountain pass


4: Anonymous (ID:c2rY89bq8): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:42:21

Obviously the Maya Hotel


7: Anonymous (ID:4yjyf8jIc): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:42:58

There's a place near my house people say is haunted.


9: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:50:09

I'll go wherever >>15 says to.


10: Anonymous (ID:Pxrbnij3U): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:51:02

My hometown's got some haunted locations


12: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:52:34

Been bored since new years huh


15: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:54:52

The Talisman House in ●●●●●.


18: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)01:55:02

>>15
Where's that?


22: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:01:39

Here maybe?
[Dead link]


24: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:04:28

Think I've heard of this place before
It's a house with a bunch of talismans stuck up everywhere inside


25: Anonymous (ID:vp6q6E2nc): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:06:31

I have a friend from around there.
According to them it's just some abandoned house where a crazy woman used to live.


26: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:10:25

So you gonna go then, Captain Kansai?


34: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:33:16

Sorry to keep you waiting, was at the convenience store.
Got it. Talisman House it is.
Should only be a 2-hour drive.
Anyone want to join me?
If you're somewhere in Kansai I can pick you up.


35: Anonymous (ID:4yjyf8jIc): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:35:24

Me! I'll come!
jk!


36: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:36:45

>>35
Instant betrayal lmao.


39: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)02:40:01

It's real cold around this time of year so make sure you bundle up.


51: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)05:48:39

The sun's already coming up. If nobody wants to go with you are you gonna give up?
I was looking forward to the raid...


60: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)07:33:19

Is he dead?


71: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)9:12:58

Sorry. Fell asleep.
Guess nobody else is coming so I'm going in solo.
Will make sure to post pics.
Heading out now.


72: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)09:29:13

Kept me waiting Cap!


73: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)09:40:39

Raiding a haunted spot in the morning is something else


75: Captain Kansai

Haven't been to many abandoned buildings. Should I bring anything in particular?


76: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)09:54:33

Bring gloves, a flashlight, and some balls


78: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)09:55:43

>>76
Gotcha.
Don't have a flashlight at home so I'll buy one on the way there.
Gonna start driving now. Expect nothing for a while.


79: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)09:56:59

I'll keep the thread alive.


80: Anonymous (ID:4dukJE2cm): 2011/01/15(Sat)10:11:01

Drive safe


120: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:38:19

I'm there.


121: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:45:20

That was fast


122: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:47:49

Nice driving


123: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:48:01

Pics pls


126: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:52:05

Here's the outside.
You able to see it?
[Dead link]


127: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:52:59

Looks kinda normal


128: Anonymous (ID:niH225uJb): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:53:04

There's a strange aura...


129: Anonymous (ID:k8S24pg6z): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:53:44

Honestly expected it to be somewhere more secluded.


130: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:54:09

The garden's really overgrown


133: Anonymous (ID:46bqFp2m9): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:54:29

How are you gonna get inside?


135: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:55:24

Front door won't budge so I'm looking around the outside for a way in.


139: Anonymous (ID:rTugUkYv3): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:56:12

Reporting you for trespassing (^Д^)


140: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:56:58

>>139
Don't.
You'll ruin the fun.


142: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:58:03

There's some grandma who keeps staring at me.
Guess I look suspicious.


143: Anonymous (ID:Pxrbnij3U): 2011/01/15(Sat)12:58:40

Already caught lmao


162: Anonymous (ID:7oZdFjgsv): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:10:23

Captain come baaack


165: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:12:01

Still nothing?


168: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:13:08

Was talking to the grandma.
Can't type fast on my phone but I'll try and summarise to convo.


169: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:13:45

There he is! Take your time


193: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:32:58

I was walking around the outside of the house when a grandma started staring at me so I went to talk to her.
Me: I'm doing research for a university project. Is that house abandoned?
Grandma: So it is.
Me: For how long?
Grandma: Close to 10 years now.
Me: If you know anything about it could you tell me?
Grandma: I don't mind, but you shouldn't be sneaking around like that. Kids used to come round here all the time looking for scares. It's a real nuisance. You don't see many of them these days, though.
Me: I'll head back once you tell me what you know.
Grandma: Everyone around here knows the story. Used to be a wife and child living there. No husband, though. The wife was a friendly sort who'd always greet people around the neighbourhood. But then the child passed away, poor thing. Heard it was a suicide. People from the media were swarming the place at the time, said it was due to bullying. Tabloids and variety shows were saying all sorts about it. After that, the wife started acting real strange. Well. Even before, she was a bit of an oddball. But she started rambling about strange topics. Not long after, she took her own life inside that house there. Poor girl. She really loved that child with all her heart. Must've been what drove her mad.


194: Anonymous (ID:Pxrbnij3U): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:34:28

You're actually able to talk to people Cap. Pretty rare for someone on here


195: Anonymous (ID:q55ePRm52): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:34:33

This is going in a pretty interesting direction.


196: Anonymous (ID:3trifSqnv): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:35:16

That's just like the press huh


197: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:36:09

No way you're actually gonna head back after that, right?


205: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:39:47

>>197
Of course not.
The grandma left so I'm looking around the garden for a way in now.


206: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:40:29

That's our Captain


207: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:41:18

If a bunch of idiots were going there all the time for spooks there must be a way in somewhere.


208: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:42:09

The window.


209: Anonymous (ID:3trifSqnv): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:43:01

Bust down the door!


215: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:46:18

The window was broken so I was able to get in.
It's really dusty.
And the place is a total mess.


216: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:47:04

Post pics


217: Anonymous (ID:5tBqe2fQ6): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:47:09

Pics please.


218: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:48:12

My body is ready


222: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:51:25

This is probably the living room.
It's pretty dark so it might be hard to see.
[Dead link]


223: Anonymous (ID:icgCxssO8): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:52:28

There's stuff everywhere.


224: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:52:58

No talismans?


225: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:53:17

Where's the talismans?


226: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:53:56

Not so much a mess as it looks like the place was ransacked.


227: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:54:19

You'd think a house known for a suicide would have more, idk, punch?


228: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:55:04

No talismans anywhere.
But there's lots of books and CDs like these.
[Dead link]


229: Anonymous (ID:5tBqe2fQ6): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:55:12

Oh...


231: Anonymous (ID:e9wcjVsbu): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:55:43

These went viral a while back


234: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:56:01

The usual stuff those crazies fall for?


235: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:56:34

So the wife was one of those spacey types?


236: Anonymous (ID:apV7ghO3m): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:56:57

Explains the bullying


240: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)13:59:46

Being serious for a second here, even if it's about cosmic power or whatever those 'spiritualist' types are into, a very strong belief can cause residual thoughts to linger around your place of death, which can result in paranormal disturbances.


241: Anonymous (ID:4yjyf8jIc): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:01:21

>>240
Yeah sure thing Mr. So-Called Exorcist


242: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:02:25

So the talismans were a lie?


243: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:02:48

The Japanese-style room.


245: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:03:56

Think I heard something.


246: Anonymous (ID:8fdqKw5mx): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:04:49

Huh?


247: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:04:59

((((;゚Д゚)))) uh oh


248: Anonymous (ID:8a29Mbdxi): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:05:18

Get outta there!


249: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:05:22

Is it the police?


250: Anonymous (ID:8fdqKw5mx): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:05:30

You okay?


251: Anonymous (ID:4yjyf8jIc): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:06:03

Cap... you were the best of us...


255: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:08:37

Right now I'm on the second floor. Fled up here.
Was searching the living room when I heard a bang on the wall.


256: Anonymous (ID:s9sdW2boy): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:09:26

Abandoned buildings are sometimes yakuza property so watch yourself.


257: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:10:05

Cap'n! Throw away your fear and raid that room!


258: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:10:37

The banging noise is still going on constantly downstairs.
For the time being I'm gonna look around up here.


259: Anonymous (ID:9673gaMsj): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:11:11

Balls of steel lmao


260: Anonymous (ID:tmXuQd2dt): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:11:48

Maybe running away's the call?


262: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:13:24

Looks like a kid's room.
[Dead link]


263: Anonymous (ID:gt4ohe95T): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:14:29

Whoa... I guess the kid who killed themself lived here.


264: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:15:39

Hey I used to have that teddy bear when I was little


267: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:15:48

Open the desk drawer.


268: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:16:12

From the looks of it they were in elementary school?


269: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:16:40

There was a photograph in the drawer.
[Dead link]


270: Anonymous (ID:6g79GpH4W): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:17:29

nope nope nope nope nope nope


271: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:17:52

Is that the dead kid?


272: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:18:29

This is kinda spooky


273: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:18:40

You gotta stop. This is getting dangerous.


274: Anonymous (ID:k63mPvfqw): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:18:51

Freaky


275: Anonymous (ID:t64dkyMnk): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:19:04

Why would there be a photo of the kid who killed himself in his own desk?


276: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:19:55

Doesn't seem like there's anything else here.
The noise stopped so I'm going back downstairs.


277: Anonymous (ID:pg3bZhYtu): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:21:01

Might be your chance to leave?


278: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:21:38

Already come this far. Might as well see it through Cap'n


283: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:23:32

Think the noise was coming from this Japanese-style room.
[Dead link]


284: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:24:20

What's up with that stain on the tatami mat in the middle of the room...


285: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:24:58

This is definitely where she died.


286: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:25:38

This room's the worst one yet


290: Anonymous (ID:pg3bZhYtu): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:25:44

What's that space in the back there on the left?


291: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:26:50

You need to get out of there ASAP


293: Anonymous (ID:4yjyf8jIc): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:27:05

I'm thinking the Captain has no sense of fear.


295: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:27:10

>>290
Since this is the only Japanese-style room, maybe that's where the Buddhist altar was?
There's nothing there now though.

>>293
If I backed out now you'd all be disappointed.


296: Anonymous (ID:u4J2iskNr): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:27:56

Cap... you're a man among men.


297: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:28:09

Underneath the tatami mat.


299: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:29:00

>>297
Yeah, that tatami mat is raised up a bit.
Wonder why.


301: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:29:31

It does look that way.


302: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:29:55

Only thing to do is lift it up and check.


305: Anonymous (ID:DtDzw3z49): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:31:55

It's like "mmm my tummys so fuuuull"


306: Anonymous (ID:b3m8P28v9): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:32:17

So, where's the talismans?


307: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:33:19

>>302
Not sure if I can, but I'll give it a shot.
Good thing someone told me to bring gloves.

>>306
Haven't seen any talismans.
But, there's marks like something's been peeled off the walls and stuff, so maybe they used to be here.


308: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:33:51

Seriously. You need to stop now.


316: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:36:52

The hell's this?
[Dead link]


317: Anonymous (ID:ss9pHX797): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:37:48

???


318: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:37:58

A rock? Some kinda big stone


319: Anonymous (ID:fgso4pgV6): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:38:17

Looks like it's been wrapped in sacred rope or something.
Maybe for worshipping?


320: Anonymous (ID:BeVis3d9h): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:38:26

Could've been put there later


321: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:38:51

The wife was into all that spiritualism stuff right?


323: Anonymous (ID:NPeHwjda4): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:39:03

Way too mysterious... scary...


324: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:39:09

Get outta there right now


325: Anonymous (ID:AyIg8wLma): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:39:16

Thank you.


326: Anonymous (ID:ss9pHX797): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:40:21

You might've just done something real bad Cap'n


327: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:40:27

I might be in trouble.


328: Anonymous (ID:m9iV66g6Z): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:40:54

Why!?


329: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:40:56

What happened cap


330: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)14:41:12

You gonna be okay?


360: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)15:05:51

Captaaaain! You goooood?


391: Anonymous (ID:ss9pHX797): 2011/01/15(Sat)15:51:19

It's been ages since the last post. Maybe he's...


400: Anonymous (ID:ai4JjEzsg): 2011/01/15(Sat)16:02:44

Waiting for the "you got trolled"


405: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)16:10:01

Hey, c'mon... say it was all a joke...


408: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)16:14:22

If anyone lives nearby, start a search party!


410: Anonymous (ID:cxjbz6cDa): 2011/01/15(Sat)16:17:15

We should tell the police right?


412: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)16:19:22

>>410
He was trespassing.
It might still be a troll.


430: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)17:01:03

Guess the Cap ain't coming back, huh?


431: Anonymous (ID:nHp7s7K3u): 2011/01/15(Sat)17:05:38

I'm rereading the thread and this AyIg8wLma anon is kinda sketchy right?
He's the one that told the Captain where to go, he somehow knew how to get in, and he even told him where to find all the spooky stuff.
Who is this guy?


432: Anonymous (ID:ss9pHX797): 2011/01/15(Sat)17:09:01

>>431
For sure


433: Anonymous (ID:ykYxw3t8q): 2011/01/15(Sat)17:12:35

AyIg8wLma what do you know?


452: Captain Kansai (ID:H7cKvHk1c): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:25:09

[Dead link]


453: Anonymous (ID:fJf96cCp4): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:29:11

Cap!
What on earth is that?


454: Anonymous (ID:utv7Nm6Ju): 2011/01/15 (Sat) 19:32:59

He's okay!


455: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:34:03

What the hell man. Are you trolling


456: Anonymous (ID:ss9pHX797): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:34:17

I'm glad you're safe but what's the picture of?
Is it a talisman?


457: Anonymous (ID:5eiCbzfkm): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:36:59

The drawing is giving me real bad vibes


458: Anonymous (ID:hHAx8jbj6): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:38:22

Captain, explaaain?


459: Anonymous (ID:hmCarmzd8): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:39:17

Never seen a talisman like this before


460: Anonymous (ID:4irA42jzo): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:40:58

Where'd he take the pic? Didn't he say there weren't any talismans anywhere?


461: Anonymous (ID:gBbp5D2vd): 2011/01/15(Sat)19:41:11

I guess it's religious? They drew a torii gate on it.
And what's that symbol thingy? Is it the kanji 了?




The OP (Captain Kansai) never posted another reply, leaving his final photograph a mystery. He also never admitted it was a troll thread (a fake thread intended to trick people.)

The user with the ID AyIg8wLma, whose posts suggest they knew something more, also never posted another reply. The thread eventually ended with no new information.
Later, in a different thread titled "Rescue the Captain! [Haunted Spots] Raiding some haunted locations in Kinki right now", a search party was organised to look for the previous OP. Several people visited the abandoned building mentioned in the other thread. They found that the tatami mat in the centre of the Japanese-style room had indeed been pulled off, but they reported that there was nothing beneath where it had been.
What did you think of this mysterious thread?
There's no telling whether it was real or fake, but it's fun to speculate!


Previous | Next

Translation Notes 17-24
The translation notes are organised by part. Please be careful of spoiling yourself by reading ahead.


This is an amateur translation of the web novel 近畿地方のある場所について as posted to kakuyomu.jp by the author 背筋. The web novel is freely accessible to the public, and this translation has no relation to any other adaptions. I claim no rights or ownership of the content presented.